Terms of Business – Please Read Before Entering The Online Catalog
At www.RacingNorton.co.uk we are real bike enthusiasts and our primary business objectives are to provide quality products for historic motorcycles and great Customer Service.
However, we are also a very small team – consisting of myself: Paul Norman (the founder and owner of the business – who does the manufacturing and supply side of the business) and Stephanie – my daughter, who from January 2017 has stepped in to replace Steve - who previous customers will know dealt with all customer orders from 2014-2016. My daughter is very friendly and efficient but only works part time and is not a motorcycle person (despite my best attempts!), so please bear this in mind – she will only pick what you have ordered online. Do not place any technical queries on online orders – instead please use the firstname.lastname@example.org (see homepage for details).
It is very important you realise that we only run this business part time, for a few hours each week – and due to the amount of orders we receive and the number of parts we supply, we are always struggling to keep up to date and ensure customer orders are not falling behind.
Therefore, to ensure we can continue to offer these parts and work effectively in the limited hours we have available, we have to operate some terms of business different to other similar part’s business which have full time employees and more staff.
It is important that you read these conditions and fully understand them before entering:
We want to serve you as best as we possibly can and ensure you are not disappointed, but if you feel these terms do not suit your needs – or you need parts in an urgent hurry . . . then we respectively ask that you do not place orders with us, as we may not be able to meet your needs:
– Sorry no exceptions and orders placed in any other way (i.e. by e-mail) will not get picked up. The online order generates all the invoice/postage paperwork and is required to allow Steph (who works in our office) to be able to see and pick the order – our business is geared only to work in this way, there are absolutely no exceptions to this.
If you are wondering why we keep labouring this point – it is because that even now (Jan 2017) after having operated this system for the last 5 years – we constantly kept being sent orders by email or other methods . . . apologies but absolutely no exceptions – if you cannot place an order yourself through this online catalog, please ask a family member to do so, nothing else can be accepted
– if you have forgotten anything on your original order, just place a new online order and it will be handled separately.
- Because we only operate part time the original order will often be packed ready to send before emails asking for additional items are received – causing delays and confusion to the customer, therefore – just place a new order which ensures it will not get missed
- we aim to try and respond to customer’s orders within one-two weeks, and pick them ready for posting within a further two weeks – but sometimes this can be longer (much longer with big orders or if items are out of stock!).
- Please bear this in mind if you are in a hurry . . . sorry, but we would rather you do not place an order with us, than risk you being disappointed – this is the most important term of our business . . . our working hours are not able to change because of our other non-motorcycle work commitments
– Although we sometimes update a Product Listing description if we know an item is going to be out of stock for a long period, due to the number of items we list and the speed that some run out, it is impractical to mark every item as out of stock.
- Therefore, Steve will always email back to the customer any items currently out of stock, and ask if the customer wants to wait, or proceed with the order ‘as is’
- Note: some of the items we produce can be out of stock for long periods of time – i.e. valves, pistons etc. This is because we are only a small business with limited funds and some items require a big investment from manufacturers to make it cost effective to proceed. Therefore these items are taken in strict order of funds being available!
– Please ensure the address you enter when placing your order is the address you wish the items to be posted to. Sorry, but we cannot send to alternate addresses emailed to us later (and this has caused many problems in the past – as often these notes are picked up after we have posted)
– We use (United Kingdom) Royal Mail or Royal Mail Parcelforce services for all postage (not couriers). Although not the cheapest, we have found this the most reliable service. We add a TRACKING NUMBER on any order with a value of £25 or over and include this on the confirmation email
- If your package does not arrive, please use the TRACKING NUMBER to confirm status of the parcel (it is not unusual to find that the postman has tried to deliver, found no one available and the parcel is waiting in the local postage depot for the customer to collect).
- Tracking a parcel for Royal Mail is easy, just go to: www.royalmail.com for Royal Mail or www.parcelforce.com for Royal Mail Parcel Force. The confirmation of posting email we send to all customers will confirm which postage service has been used and have the TRACKIING NUMBER on it
- When emailing us for the tracking details - please bear in mind we use Royal Mail Drop and Go service. It may be a few days after the postage date that we receive back the tracking details from the last batch of paockages posted - therefore, it may be a few days from date of posting until we have the tracking details available
- Unfortunately, If a parcel is lost (a very rare event) – any claim to Royal Mail (or Royal Mail Parcelforce) needs to be made by the customer. We will help in any way we can, and supply paperwork – but Royal Mail (Parcel Force) ask that it is the customer submitting claim to ensure full value of insurance is paid
- If you do not want to pay for postage insurance you can opt to go for a lesser (non-tracked) service, but all responsibility and liability for lost parcels (and tracing lost parcels) will lie with the customer. By default we will quote for tracking on orders of £25 or over, unless the customer states otherwise when placing the order
– We know it is more normal in the modern on-line world to place an order and pay immediately – i.e. Amazon, E-Bay etc. However, we also understand that as soon as payment is made the customer has an expectation the parcel will arrive no more than two days later!!
- For all the reasons we have given above, and because we often need to check with customers that they have ordered the correct part for their machine (there were lots of Norton variations over the years!) – we do not take payment at time of the order being placed
- Instead we pick the order first, inform the customer of any shortages or queries we can see, quote postage (at cost only) based on the weight of the parcel(s), and only then when we are ready to send do we ask for payment. We have operated this way since first opening for business in 2007 and still found it to be the fairest and most customer focused means of taking payment
- Please note that although we do not take payment for an order up front, we consider placing an order with us a commitment to continue with the purchase once we have emailed back final cost and postage details and are ready to take payment. If for whatever reason you wish to cancel the order before this point - then please email us as soon as possible on email@example.com. - as we often spend considerable time picking and carefully packaging orders, thank you.
Update to Payment Terms & Conditions - April 2020:
Please note that from May 2020 we will be asking customers whose orders are in excess of £200 to pay by electronic bank transfer in preference to Paypal.
Although we understand Paypal is very popular and convenient, their charges are far greater than other payment methods, which currrently we are having to sustain. If customers do still want to pay by Paypal (on those order of £200 or more), we will accept it - but will add a small overhead charge to account for that additional cost (which we do not take account of in our retail margin).
We will also still accept cheques (although it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a bank branck office that is open to accept them!), and we are also looking at how to accept Visa Debit card, given that we only invoice the customer once the order has been picked - which our Web Shop is currently unable to deal with.
If you have any questions or concerns about payment methods - please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to providing the best service we possibly can, and helping likeminded enthusiasts to ourselves to rebuild their pride and joy . . . but we ask that to maintain this service, you read and understand these terms – and by entering this site and placing an online order with us, you have accepted them
Very Best Regards
Paul Norman. January 2017
Terms and Conditions and Returns Policy :
Many of the items shown in the catalog are made in small batches by high quality engineering companies, or come from trusted manufacturers and suppliers. While we endeavour to ensure our parts are made to the highest possible standards, as the fitment and use of these parts is governed by many factors outside our control, we can accept no liability for any failure of parts. This is a condition of our business and by placing an online order with us you are deemed to have accepted these conditions. However, we offer a full money back guarantee if you are not satisfied (within 15 days + transit time of posting) on any item. We also understand that some parts are ordered in advance of a restoration and try to be sympathetic to this.
Please note: If returning parts because you have ordered the wrong part in error - they must be sent back in exactly the same condition as sent, in original packaging. Regretfully we cannot accept any parts that have been trial fitted and marked in any way - as we will not be able to resell them - so please ensure you have ordered the correct part before fitting
Many of the items listed in our catalog are made in small batch's by high quality UK based engineering companies, or come from trusted manufacturers and suppliers.
You may find some cheaper reproduction parts elesewhere (and we do supply some of these 'generic' parts from the wider bike restoration community ourselfs - i.e. saddles, some control parts etc), but for everything we offer - we try to ensure the parts will be of the best possible quality.
Because of this, we offer a full money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase (within 15 days + postage in transit time of the parts being sent to you)